Why do I need an individual consultation with an attorney for an individual assessment of my immigration case?

Every Immigration case is different. In an initial consultation the attorneys of Gomez & Douat, LLP will provide you precise and individual information based on your case and particularized situation. From there we will explain important issues like:

Which immigration laws apply?
Do I qualify for relief?
Is there a risk in applying for that benefit?
What happens if my case is denied?
Even if I qualify, what are the possible problems I can encounter with this application process?
Can I help or include a family member in my relief application?
And any other questions related to your immigration case!

To schedule your initial consultation in our office call us at (408) 780-1015 or visit our contact us page.

Our initial consultations are 1 hour long for a fee of $100 for appointments scheduled during regular business hours Monday- Friday 9am-5pm. Extended hour consultations before 9am, after 5pm, or on Saturdays have an additional $50-$100 fee depending on the time requested and must be scheduled in advance.

We do not provide telephonic consultations. Each consult is an individual appointment for one (1) person or case. Any family member or friend who would like to have an individual assessment or individual questions answered will need to schedule a separate consultation.

In order to maximize your hour-long consultation, we recommend that you bring as much from the following list as you can gather for your appointment:

Identification documents

  • Passport, consular ID, school ID, or driver’s license (preferably a valid ID, not expired)

Fingerprint results, such as FBI or CA Department of Justice (DOJ)

  • If you have already processed your fingerprints through another attorney or non-profit organization please bring your results.

Complete court dockets for any and all arrests in the US

  • If you have been arrested, convicted of a crime, gone to criminal court— DUIs are misdemeanors not traffic violations—- you must bring the complete court docket.
  • If your arrest and conviction took place in Santa Clara County, you can get your court documents by following the steps here
  • If you cannot locate your complete court records, or the crimes occurred out of the county or out of the state, Gomez & Douat, LLP may be able to help you obtain your criminal records for a separate fee.

Any and all Police Reports you have made– as the victim– to the police in the past.

  • Especially if your reason for scheduling a consultation is that you have been the victim of a crime and you want to see whether you qualify for a U Visa. It is very important to have the police report in hand for that type of consultation.
  • If you are unable to locate or obtain the police report (if the victim was a minor, you may need to have a motion filed with the court to obtain a copy of the police report) Gomez & Douat, LLP may be able to help you obtain your criminal records for a separate fee.

Copy of any and all immigration records

  • If you have previously filed or a family member filed a petition for you or your spouse or parent, if you have been in deportation proceedings AND you have a copy of your immigration records, please bring with you to your consultation.
  • If you have ever had a work permit granted, tourist visa, student visa, or any other type of document issued to you by USCIS, CBP, or any other immigration agency, please bring that document with you, even if it is expired.
  • If you have received correspondence from USCIS or the NVC, please bring that correspondence with you.

Lastly, WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND, a complete list of all travel in and out of the United States

  • This list should include EVERY entry and exit from the United States, even if you did not have contact with immigration officials.
  • Focus on providing dates for these exits and entries, even if they are approximate! The applicable law to those exits and entries depends on the dates.


It does not take a lot of skill to complete a form which is the only thing Notary Publics and even Immigration Consultants can legally do; the complicated part of immigration law is knowing whether or not you should and there are a lot of factors that go into making that decision which must be determined on a case by case basis and explained to you by a knowledgeable professional.

Under California law, only an Attorney with a valid license or a BIA Accredited Representative who must be connected to a BIA Accredited non profit organization can REPRESENT YOU in an immigration case.

Notary publics, Immigration Consultants, and others do not have the education or legal experience to be able to assess your case with immigration, and under California State Law it is AGAINST THE LAW for them to provide you with legal advice.

Applying for an immigration benefit is not easy, if you:

  • Entered the United States unlawfully,
  • Entered lawfully but your permission to remain in the US has expired,
  • At any point you have been convicted of a crime (including misdemeanors),
  • Had contact with immigration, ICE, CBP,
  • Been deported,
  • Entered with false documents,
  • Claimed to be a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) or a US Citizen (USC) in order to enter or work in the United States,
  • Have registered to vote, or
  • So many other particular situations or legal complications

It is possible that you may not qualify for the immigration benefit that you are seeking or that you will need to file a waiver(s) before you could be considered eligible.

With the knowledge and experience of an attorney licensed in the state of California on your side, you can avoid delay, legal complications, and headaches. At the Law Offices of Gomez & Douat, LLP, we will help you understand the legal process, which family members can be included in your case, the inherent specific risk of your case, and whatever alternative options for relief you have available. We will guide you through the entire process. Both attorneys, Rosa Gomez and Veronica Douat, speak fluent Spanish and have a combined experience of 8 years practicing law in California.

Here is some more helpful information directly from the California Department of State and the Attorney General’s Office.

And from USCIS/ Immigration directly:

CA B&P Code § 6125

 §6125. No person shall practice law in California unless the person is an active member of the State Bar.

 §6126. (a) Any person advertising or holding himself or herself out as practicing or entitled to practice law or otherwise practicing law who is not an active member of the State Bar, or otherwise authorized pursuant to statute or court rule to practice law in this state at the time of doing so, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in a county jail or by a fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment. Upon a second or subsequent conviction, the person shall be confined in a county jail for not less than 90 days, except in an unusual case where the interests of justice would be served by imposition of a lesser sentence or a fine. If the court imposes only a fine or a sentence of less than 90 days for a second or subsequent conviction under this subdivision, the court shall state the reasons for its sentencing choice on the record.